Friday, February 13, 2009

It's inside my head!

Music has always played a big role in my life. I played musical instruments for the better part of two decades, and have always really enjoyed having music as a backdrop to my life. There are not many times when I do not have some sort of music playing, be it at home, on the go, or at work. When I don't have music playing, I tend to have an internal stereo to take up the slack. Sometimes this is a good thing. At other times, not so much. The other day, for instance, the theme song to Dynasty was stuck in my head for hours. This, unfortunately, was not the first time this has happened.

Today started out with a relatively harmless tune, but quickly morphed into Barry Manilow's infamous "Copacabana (At the Copa)." It stuck with me for HOURS. Even as I played other music in my office, whenever I left to go to a meeting or talk to other people, it came back. Luckily, by the time I left work today, I had been able to shake it. However, on my ride home this evening, a different, more insidious song crept in.

I was riding past Lady Bird Lake in downtown Austin, and spotted the Oscar Mayer Wiener Mobile. Instantly, "I wish I was an Oscar Mayer wiener..." flooded my internal speakers. In an attempt to not be consumed by the song on my ride home, I decided to play with the lyrics a bit. This is what I came up with:

If I had an Oscar Mayer wiener
It'd mean I have a small, pencil dick
And if I had an Oscar Mayer wiener
No one would come to sit on top of it

No comments: