Monday, July 20, 2009

Sally Field I am not


Right after he uttered the words, I stood up and left his company. I walked toward the edge of our camp and stared off into the night. Tears streaming down my face. My breath coming in gasps. Brit Boy walked up behind me and tried to put his arm around me. I don't remember what he started to say but I told him to "just leave." He did.

Shortly thereafter two friends came up to me and put their arms around me. These two are new characters here so let's call them Senor Mas Fuerte (don't ask) and Shay Butter Boy (again... really... don't ask). I can only assume that Brit Boy told them what he had done and had them come check on me. I was very glad for their company, but I have to feel slightly sorry for them. Really, what are you supposed to say that isn't trite and cliche? Senor Mas Fuerte repeatedly asked "what the hell are you boys doing" as he knew how much love and commitment Brit Boy and I once had for one another. How much, even now, I still have for him.

Anyway, my tears and gasping took a turn to the dramatic pretty quickly. As I was explaining to my friends what had just happened and the reasons Brit Boy had given I just felt something welling up inside of me. Not anger. Not frustration. Not sadness. Or perhaps it was each of these. In some sort of weird combination. But it just grew inside me until I knew I had to let it out.

"I just wanna scream!!!" I said with great conviction. "I just wanna hit something... someone!!! I just wanna make someone understand how I feel!!!" (Gee, I wonder where I got those lines) And with that I broke free from my two friends that still had their arms around me and ran off into the distance. Screaming. Loudly. I screamed for some time as I ran, but I stopped rather suddenly when I tripped. (Remember that this was at night) And fell... well, flew into a ditch. A two meter deep ditch. A two meter deep ditch filled with thorny weeds and brush.

Did I mention that all I was wearing at this point was a sarong and chanclas? Well, I lost the chanclas at some point along my run, but I was still only wearing a sarong. So here I was lying face-first in a deep ditch filled with thorny weeds and brush, with a sarong on that had not exactly stayed put while I was flying through the air with the greatest of ease. Let's just say that thorns went places you never want thorns to go.

My friends got me out of the ditch and checked me out to make sure that I was physically ok. Lucky for me Shay Butter Boy is a physician so he was able to really give me the once over. Now that I think about it, I should have had him spend a bit more time helping me with the thorns. ;-)

No comments: