Sunday, August 19, 2007

Substance abuse

Hi.  I'm Cary.  And I have an addiction.

It started when I was young.  Grandmother was to blame.  I would watch her as she just gave into temptation willy-nilly.  My mom and dad didn't really help curb my desire either.  They acted like such an obsession was normal.  And now that I'm an adult, I realize that I really don't have the skills, the courage, or the strength to resist.

I'm addicted to cookies.

Just the way a well-made cookie melts on your tongue, the flavors blending together, creating a sense of euphoria.  My eyes roll back into my head.  Goosebumps rise on my flesh.  A shiver runs down my spine.  If it's really good, like Tiff's Treats Snickerdoodle...  the hair on the back of my neck stands up.

How have I handled my addiction thus far?  I've gone the whole cold-turkey route.  I don't keep any cookies in the house, and for the most part, I'm able to resist any temptations.

However...

The H.E.B. (local grocery) around the corner from my gym does this wonderful little thing where they place all the broken tidbits of cookies out on a "sample" table.  All one has to do is wander by periodically and snag a couple of broken bits.  Chocolate chip.  Oatmeal raisin.  White chocolate macadamia nut.  A smidgen here.  A handful there.  I made three trips past the bakery on one shopping trip alone.

While the cookies may not be the best cookies ever made, it doesn't really matter.  For someone who has avoided them like they're the plague, these things are sweet ambrosia.

Seriously.  I need help.  I find myself planning extra trips to the grocery and making plans to grab the cookie tray and run out the door, leaving a trail of chocolate chips and M&Ms behind me.

No comments: