Tuesday, June 12, 2007

What to do...

I felt the gentle touch on my right arm just as I reached the bar to order another drink. I turn around and saw her, one of Latex's best friends. 

"Hey Cary, I thought that was you across the way. How are you?"

I stare at her for a moment, unsure of what is about to happen. Unsure of what exactly I'm supposed to do. Why is she at OCH? Is Latex with her? And she's pregnant... When did this happen?

A pleasant conversation ensues, during which she has this look in her eyes that she's being apologetic for the way that Latex acted at the end of our relationship. I decide not to venture down that road, instead talking about various silly little topics.

"I miss you coming over for dinner," she finally says. "Damn," I think to myself. "I didn't want to head down that path."

"Well, what's done is done. But I do miss those affairs, as well." And from there I steer the conversation elsewhere by introducing her to Shot Guy. On a side note, Shot Guy can talk. So its very easy to avoid any uncomfortable topics by just allowing him to take over the course of the conversation. This was no exception. The plan worked perfectly. For a while.

"So you should give me a call sometime," she eventually says. Once again, I just stare at her for a moment. 

"Sweety, I... that's... not something I think I should do. You're one of Latex's best friends, I won't do that to him."

"I'm still gonna give you my number." And with that she grabs a trick card, scribbles her number down, and places the card in my hand. "Call me," she says. "I can have my own friends."

When I get home, I pull the card out of my pocket and place it on the kitchen counter, right next to the stove. I feel the urge to light the stove and burn the card. If Latex were to hang out with one of my best friends, I know how I would feel. I mean, I really don't have any negative feelings towards him, but he made it very clear how things were gonna be between us... non-existent. That's a line that I feel I must respect.

The next morning I'm in the kitchen, preparing some tea when Shot Guy comes in from the bedroom. I'm holding the card in my hand, unsure of what I should do with it. He asks about it, about her, about who she is. I tell him the truth. He takes the card from my hand, rips it up, and throws it in the trash.

No comments: